Dr. Amy Thomson
Dentist & Oral Surgeon
Dr. Amy Thomson, otherwise known as “toothy”, is our board-certified dentist and oral surgeon here at Lakeshore. This nickname and her career started in small animal general and emergency practice in southeastern Ontario after graduating from the Ontario Veterinary College in 2012. It was pretty quickly that she found her passion for dentistry. After years of attending additional conferences, laboratories and working with other dentists, she pursued a residency in Small Animal Dentistry & Oral Surgery at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, which she completed in 2019. Her research thus far has focused on teaching in veterinary dentistry, normal TMJ movement and jaw opening in order to quantify abnormalities in patients with injury or illness affecting this joint, as well as novel surgical approaches to maxillofacial tumours. She hopes to continue with clinical research here at Lakeshore AHP. Dr. Thomson became a board-certified diplomate of the American Veterinary Dental College in 2021.
Dr. Thomson’s professional areas of interest include pediatric dentistry, a multidisciplinary approach to maxillofacial tumours, preserving the function of teeth through periodontics, endodontics and prosthodontics, as well as being passionate about educating pet owners and other veterinary professionals. She has and continues to teach both in-person and virtually, as well as contributes to courses, articles and advice to several online platforms.
Dr. Thomson has spent the last 3 years travelling across Ontario, providing advanced care to patients within their primary clinic, working alongside numerous teams. This has been an invaluable experience, and while she will miss working directly with these teams, she is excited to work with the specialty teams at Lakeshore. Working at LAHP, she and her team will be able to provide oral care to patients that otherwise may not be able to receive it.
When not in the clinic or talking about teeth, she can most likely be found at her family’s hobby farm, running, biking or swimming (she is a triathlete), spending time with friends, or travelling.
Board Certification: Diplomate, DAVDC
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Ontario Veterinary College, Guelph, ON (2008-2012)
- Residency in Dentistry & Oral Surgery, University of Wisconsin Madison (2016-2019)
- Board-certified with the American Veterinary Dental College (2021)
- Novel approaches to extensive maxillofacial tumours
- Pediatric and prophylactic dentistry
- Mandibular reconstruction
- Education and training in veterinary dentistry
- Amy E Thomson, Brittney E Rigby, Alexander T Geedes and Jason W Soukup. Excision of Extensive Orbitozygomaticomaxillary Complex Tumors Combining an Intra- and Extraoral Approach With Transpalpebral Orbital Exenteration. Frontiers Veterinary Science, December 2020; Volume 7
- Amy Thomson, Scott Hetzel, MS, and Christopher J Snyder. Gape angle in Asymptomatic Dogs with Normal Occlusion. Journal of Veterinary Dentistry 38 (10) April 2021
- Amy Thomson, Karen M. Young, Simon Lygo-Baker, Chad Lothamer, Christopher J. Snyder. Evaluation of Perceived Technical Skill Development by Students During Instruction in Dental Extractions in Different Laboratory Settings—A Pilot Study. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education; 46(3), Fall 2019
- Amy E Thomson and Jason W Soukup. Composite Resection of Tumors of the Rostral Maxilla and Dorsolateral Muzzle Utilizing an Upper Lip-Sparing, Combined Approach in Dogs. Frontiers Veterinary Science, 20 March 2018; Volume 5