Emergency Department at Lakeshore Animal Health Partners
The Lakeshore Animal Health Partners Emergency Department is a group of highly skilled frontline veterinarians who provide triage, immediate and urgent care to patients prior to referral to a specialty service within our hospital. This department is open 7 days a week and is available to care for your pet at any hour of the day.
We receive patients on an emergent basis from your primary care veterinarian and other referral hospitals. Direct walk-ins are welcome through our Emergency Department, but wait times will vary depending on the case load within the hospital. Patient priority will be determined by utilizing our research-based triage system. Immediate referral to a specialty service is not possible simply by coming through the Emergency Department. At this time, we are only able to see cats and dogs.
- Triage and immediate care for stabilization or coordinated referral to another specialty service
- Assessment and in-hospital patient care for multiple emergencies or ailments
- Urinary obstruction
- Airway obstruction
- Trauma (hit by car, high-rise fall, other)
- Significant weakness or collapse
- Pale gums and blood loss
- Hemoadbomen or hemothorax
- Pericardial effusion
- Toxin ingestion
- Bleeding diatheses requiring transfusion
- Pre-clinical assessment of complicated and multifactorial disease presentations
- Acute vomiting or diarrhea
- Bite wounds and other cuts/lacerations
- Acute seizures and other neurologic emergencies
- Other ailments that your family perceives as an emergency
- Outpatient management of more common or non-life-threatening emergencies
Your family and your pet have our full commitment to reducing the stress associated with your visit at any hour.
Basic Pet First Aid
Emergency situations can occur when you least expect them. It is always of benefit to have an emergency plan created by your family if an event occurs. Please always have the contact information of your local veterinarian (in-house) and our emergency facility (in- or out-of-hours) for your emergency needs.
Your family may also be interested in having access to or certification in first aid. There are many courses available online including:
- St. John’s Ambulance First Aid
- Red Cross Animal First Aid
- RECOVER Courses Online (for Veterinarians, veterinary students and technicians)